The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry My seventh Review Month review. Just learned I might be going on a short vacation so I'm trying to get caught up on reviews before I go.

*****************************************

I read this last year, and it was one of those rare books that lived up to the hype.

I had to read this and Anthem by Ayn Rand for an assignment in a class where we were reading classic works of dystopian literature. I came to appreciate Anthem over time because I hated it when I first finished it, but I loved this book as soon as I turned the last page.

And what better time to review it than now, with the movie adaptation of it coming out in less than a month?

I'm not quite sure whether I'll like the film though. Jeff Bridges is definitely the best one for the part, but it looks like they have created scenarios that are not in the book. And they gave acting-god Meryl Streep a role that was minor in the book, and expanded upon it? I don't consider that a good idea.

The movie also looks a little too action packed. I wish it was like the book; it would be slow and really have a plot that feels like it was being thought up as you read it, a plot so complex it seems almost real.

I also really don't like the actor playing Jonas. He looks like one of those pretty boy model types who can't actually act. And the acting in a film is what can make or break it.

Oh, and did I mention that fucking Taylor Swift is in the film?

*shudders*

It's almost certain to be a bonafide mess.

*****************************************

I was also reminded to review this because I follow the film's Facebook page and this popped up earlier. This seems to be the main thing about the film that Lois Lowry loved.

description

I thought that was hilarious. The one thing Lowry loved the most was the baby who played Gabriel.

*****************************************

Here is the Goodreads description of the book for the two of you who haven't read the book.

Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth.

There is no turning back.

The true power of this book, along with many others, before The Hunger Games came along and ruined the genre (don't get me wrong The Hunger Games is an amazing novel, it just inspired so many bad ripoffs), is that it deals with the search for your inner identity and self.

Before Jonas meets the Giver he is a pretty boring and one-dimensional character who blends into his surroundings with ease, which is done purposefully on Lowry's part.

After he meets the Giver and has his mind opened up, due to these memories he receives, he becomes an entirely different character who finds a purpose in the world. But in this world having a purpose is the most dangerous thing you can possibly possess. And Jonas becomes a threat to this supposed utopia.

description

Ahh, there's Meryl. I bet she'll be fabulous as the villain of the film, even if she is a largely made up character.

Anyway, back to the review, or whatever it is you want to call my ramblings.

It is at this point in the novel, after Jonas recieves the memories, that he realizes there is more to his world outside this "community".

It is also at this point in the novel where he realizes that he has never seen colors. The first color he sees is the red of an apple, and I can't even begin to explain how well-written this moment in the book is. Lowry had to describe color as if she has never seen it herself. And she's does it perfectly and makes it breathtakingly beautiful. And she doesn't even really describe the apple, but you know what Jonas has seen. It all happens when Jonas is playing catch with his friend Asher, with the apple. As it flies through the air Jonas sees a change.

"But suddenly, Jonas had noticed, following the path of the apple through the air with his eyes, that the fruit had-well this is the part that he couldn't adequately understand-the apple had changed.

Then it was in his hand, and he looked at it carefully, but it was the same apple. Unchanged. The same size and shape: a perfect sphere. The same nondescript shade, about the same shade as his own tunic.

See what I mean?

*****************************************

It turns out that the "government" off this community have been giving them medicine to keep the citizens domicile and make them obey. And to take away their vision of colors because color can inspire creativity.

The only reason Jonas saw the apple, is because he quite taking his shots at the Giver's suggestion.

*****************************************

This book is brilliant and even though some people have reasons for hating it, mostly because of the ambiguous ending, I still think it is somewhat of a modern classic.

5 brilliant, shining, golden stars out of 5

*****************************************

If you haven't read this book you are missing out. It can really change you.

description (