Why Aren't Some Writer's More Inventive?

One of the things about modern day books, I really hate, is that they aren't inventive enough.

This blog isn't devoted to the YA age range (remember it isn't a genre, tut tut), but I find myself thinking it's the worst for for this lack of inventiveness. The books in this age range usually rip off a much more well known book. For instance, The Maze Runner by James Dashner is a direct rip off of The Hunger Games, a book hundreds of YA books have ripped off and pay homage to.

And even though these authors who write these books may think they are just writing what people want, and that they are helping the genre prosper, they are actually just stunting its growth. All these unoriginal books being published make the YA age range boring after a while, and I know many readers who have quit reading these books completely because of it. I don't even read that genre often anymore because of it. And even though I think The Hunger Games is quite an amazing book, I almost wish it hadn't been published sometimes because then the whole age range of books wouldn't be so damn terrible.

And it had happened in the YA age range before The Hunger Games was published with another book, that was actually terrible, Twilight. I'm not going to really go into how much I hate that book in this post, but I will say it did the genre in even more than the The Hunger Games did. And I actually wish it hadn't been published.

Then there are the books that get popular because the writer takes multiple popular books and tries to make some kind of beautiful hybrid between them, but ends up with a horribly disgusting mutant that becomes wildly popular. I'm talking about The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I'll admit when I read the first book in that series I enjoyed it. Hell, I enjoyed the next two as well, but I lost all respect for the writer because she is nasty and unprofessional to her readers, and in my opinion was one of the reasons the Goodreads War of 2012 happened. And those books have been in trouble because of plagiarism of the Harry Potter series, which really doesn't surprise me. Clare took Twilight and Harry Potter and made some kind of inbred child between them that became her series.

And then there is the unoriginality in my favorite genre, horror. The main thing that is wrong with the horror genre is the tendency to reuse the same monsters after a writer originated them with an amazing book. For instance, Off Season by Jack Ketchum, a novel some readers have described as the greatest horror novel of all time, has influenced and made the whole crazy-killer-cannibal genre what it is today.

My problem though is that writers are too content to reuse the same monsters over and over. Why not try to create something new and disgusting like what Tim Curran does? It's all due to laziness after the big horror boom of the '80s. Writers became too comfortable putting out the same story over and over again in a different setting. Even Stephen King is guilty of it. I've read stories like Children of the Corn before, it's just that Stephen King wrote the most known story in that particular horror sub-genre.

Writers need to strive to be original, not work against it. That's what's wrong with books today, blatant copying that needs to be stopped. It's alright to take an idea and reuse it, just do something different with it; don't drag it across the muddy floor and get it dirty.